Saturday, February 12, 2005

 

A personal vision

"If the only vision we have of ourselves comes from the social mirror, ... from the opinions, perceptions and paradigms of the people around us, our view of ourselves is like the reflection in the crazy mirror room at the carnival."
Stephen Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.

Today is my birthday and I love birthdays. (Thank you to you who sent your wishes). Always did like birthdays. As I "mature", I use the occasion to eat chocolate for breakfast and also to evaluate if I am happy with my life. I also use it as a time to look at my dreams, my goals. I firmly believe that when birthdays are a source of pain, they simply serve as a reminder that we are not living the life we want. They are our own mirror. Not of who we are but of how we let ourself shrink. When I turned 39 and working in the Federal Government, that birthday was a launching pad to leave, go to university full time and write my future history.

How do you feel about "another birthday"? Whether your birthday is November 11 or February 12, now is the time to change the year ahead. Are you scared? What changes do you need to make to feel excited about the coming year? Are you letting your "social mirror" limit what you think you are or can be?

Marguerite Tennier
http://www.canadascoach.com



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?